Language Programs & Placement Tests
A Placement Test is required before enrolling in a language course at UCSB for students who have previously taken language classes or have a background in the following East Asian Language: Chinese, Japanese, or Korean. If you are interested in taking Chinese, Japanese, or Korean language classes at UCSB, the placement tests are usually offered at the start of each quarter. Students new to Chinese, Japanese, or Korean do not need to take a Placement Test, they can register for first year classes offered every year in the Fall quarter.
Japanese Placement Test for SPRING 2021
Students who have studied or can speak Japanese must take the Placement Test in order to enroll in Japanese language classes at UCSB (except JAPAN 1).
To sign up for the next Japanese Placement Test – please login to the Japanese Language Program website for dates and more information.
Chinese Language Placement Test for SPRING 2021
Students who have studied Chinese or speak it at home, MUST take the Placement Test in order to enroll in Chinese language classes at UCSB (except CHIN1 or CHIN 1NH). Due to COVID-19 the Placement Test will be given on Gaucho Space & Zoom.
About the Chinese Placement Test
There are 2 levels of Placement Test offered – please choose the one that suits you most:
1. Beginning Level: for those who have learned Chinese for one year or less and have known about 300-500 Chinese words;
2. Intermediate Level: for those who have learned Chinese for around two years or have known about 500-800 Chinese words.
3. Both tests have a written part and listening part. Both parts have questions in the form of True/False and Multiple Choice. In addition, the written test also includes a composition. You need to type a short paragraph about 300 or 500 words depending on the level of the test you take. The tests are in both simplified characters and traditional characters.
4. If your Chinese language level is beyond the intermediate level (see definition above) and you plan to take an advanced level course in Chinese (such as 3rd year CHIN 122A/B/C, or 4th year CHIN 127), please contact the Chinese course instructors directly.
5. There are no specific study materials for this test. However, currently we use New Practical Chinese Reader (3rd edition) Book 1 and 2 for our first-year Chinese courses (namely, CHIN 1/2/3).
The day and time for the Chinese Placement Tests:
1. Thursday, March 25, at 3:00 pm. to 4:30 pm.
The test will last for 90 minutes.
Please note: these are the only available times offered for taking the test for the Spring quarter of 2021.
To sign up for the next Placement Test please complete this form
EALCS department Language Class Sequence for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean:
The East Asian Language courses are offered in an annual sequence. A typical schedule for the language courses for each quarter are listed below:
|Year:||Fall Quarter:||Winter Quarter:||Spring Quarter:|
|1st year||CHIN 1/1NH, JAPAN 1, KOR 1||CHIN 2/2NH, JAPAN 2, KOR2||CHIN 3/3NH, JAPAN 3, KOR 3|
|2nd year||CHIN 4/4NH, JAPAN 4, KOR 4||CHIN 5/5NH, JAPAN 5||CHIN 6, JAPAN 6|
|3rd year||CHIN122A, JAPAN 120A||CHIN122B, JAPAN 120B||CHIN122C, JAPAN 120C|
Classical Chinese Placement Test for Winter 2021
Please email Prof. Thomas Mazanec (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange a placement test for Classical Chinese. The test will require you to produce an accurate English translation of the literal meaning of a brief Classical Chinese text. Consulting dictionaries and other resources is permitted. Email Prof. Mazanec for further details.
Please contact Alyson Alexander, EALCS Academic Advisor for questions and information.