5-Year B.A./M.A. Program

The 5-Year B.A./M.A. program is designed for students who wish to enhance their undergraduate major in Chinese or Japanese with graduate training at the M.A. level in the department. Students concurrently pursue a Bachelor of Arts degree in Chinese or Japanese and a Master of Arts in Asian Studies. These degrees already exist as separate entities, the B.A. normally requiring four years and the M.A. normally requiring two years. Students pursuing this dual degree must plan on taking one year of study abroad during their junior year in their country of specialization. While on the study abroad program students will need to apply to the graduate program, following the same procedures as students not currently enrolled in the University.

APPLICATIONS FOR THE 5-YEAR PROGRAM ARE SUBMITTED DURING THE FALL OF THE YEAR ABROAD. Applicants must submit an online application with the application fee and deliver hard copies of these documents to the department:

  • 2 official transcripts
  • 3 letters of recommendation
  • GRE scores (taken while on EAP or just before, in time for the application review during the year abroad)
  • Statement of purpose
  • Writing sample

A consultation with the undergraduate advisor is strongly recommended at the end of your first year or early in your second year at UCSB, in order to plan for the program and coordinate class choices to meet the 5-year goal.


B.A. YEAR 1: Language and coursework to satisfy major requirements.
(Intensive language courses can also be taken in summer.)

B.A. YEAR 2: Language and coursework to satisfy major requirements
Apply to Education Abroad Program (EAP) for 3rd year study abroad

B.A. YEAR 3: EAP year abroad to advance language study and coursework for major.
Note: Student must have completed 2 years of an East Asian language by the time they travel abroad, and must take advanced classes in that language while studying abroad.
Take GRE and apply to EALCS 5-year B.A./M.A. program

B.A. YEAR 4: Complete B.A. requirements, and begin M.A. requirements.

M.A. YEAR 5: Complete M.A. in Asian Studies

For courses associated with each EALCS major and Minor, see the Course Catalog.