Area: Chinese Language & Literature
M.A., Washington University in St. Louis;
M.A., Nanjing University (China)
Office Hours: M, 11:00AM-12:00PM; W, 2:00-3:00PM
Daoxiong Guan teaches modern Chinese, business Chinese, as well as classical Chinese language and literature. He currently works on Chinese language teaching materials and curriculum development, and literary thought of the Ming and Qing period. Before coming to UCSB, he taught at the University of Oregon, Washington University, and Nanjing University (China) where he has been a concurrent associate professor since 1997. He is an academic advisor for the Overseas Chinese Language Research Center at Jinan University in China since 2007.
Selected Articles, Reviews & Entries
- “The Definition, Contents and Open-ended Framework of a Business Chinese Textbook.” International Chinese Language Teaching & Learning, 2006 Vol. 2, Foreign Language Teaching & Research Press, Beijing; also in the Selected Papers from the 8th International Forum of Chinese Language Teaching, High Education Press, Beijing, 2007, 663-668.
- Ok! Business Chinese:OK! 비즈니스 중국어 (Korean edition), Seoul: Darakwon Inc. 2008 (with exemplary answers), 2002 (First edition)
- A Practical Business Chinese Reader (revised edition). Beijing: Peking (Beijing) University Press, 2003.
- “Ji Yun’s Views on History of Chinese Literature.” Literary Review Series 1 (Nanjing, China), 2001.
- A Classical Chinese Literature Reader (Major contributor). Nanjing: Nanjing University Press, 1999.
- “The Literary Theory of Gongan School in the Late Ming Period.” Academic Journal of Nanjing University , 1999 Vol.2, 113-121.
- “Book Review: Wenxuan, A Translation and Annotations (Vol.3) by David R. Knechtges.Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1996.” China Review International 5(1), 1998, 165-168.
- The Introduction to Ancient Chinese Culture (chapters 1, 6, and 12). Changsha: Yuelu Shushe (Yuelu Publishing House), 1995.
- A Selection of Gong Zizhen’s Poems and Essays: Commentary and Modern Chinese Translation (with Bangwei Zhu). Chengdu: Bashu Shushe (Bashu Publishing House), 1994.
- Japanese 1-2-3 : Elementary Japanese
- Japanese 4-5-6 : Intermediate Japanese
- Japanese 120A/B/C: Third Year Japanese